Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Back to my childhood...

If you aren't from my school don't read further..most of it won't make any sense.. and then again..maybe it will..

And here it is for all the students of our school..

This was the longest time i was away from school..

Almost a year and a half.. and going back to the school you studied in, meeting the teachers who taught you your first lessons in life and re-living those moments is a feeling no words can aptly describe..

i started late because i was scared to meet the traffic..you know the roads..but i guess the powers above intervened because thankfully there wasn't any..but the roads are another story altogether..there are none..It is only a poor caricature of what it was and what it should be..NH-215 indeed..Don't really know if the government will ever realise how badly people are affected by the condition of the roads and the traffic that's brought the best school in Orissa on almost the verge of closing down..

From the moment i decided that i would go to school, every moment was nostalgic..the 20 kilometers to our school brought back memories of thousands of such days when we travelled to school..Some familiar landmarks are there no more and some new have cropped up..Yes..those hills are there to which we went trekking..those dark looming hills of magnetite sent me back dreaming of the races we had for the top..So much has changed..and some things..they're still the same..Just that now the race is different..

As i reached the 19 km milestone, it was again that feeling of deja-vu..the familiar eucalyptus trees..the canopy of the classrooms just about visible as if through a windscreen..And all of a sudden there it was..The board which said "GREENFIELD SCHOOL, PALASPANGA"..i totally forgot about those pictures i was supposed to click for all of you..but just in time..

I entered the school gate..yet again..and my eyes flooded with memories of the many other times i had already done so..with the uniform and pigtails..and mischief in every step..those days of carelessness, those moments of feeling just nothing..when the biggest problem was that you hadn't done your homework again and had forgotten to cut your nails..

When you enter school the first thing you see is Principal Sir's office..which we called the "Lion's Den"..and undoubtedly..that was where i first went..it seems funny after all those years but even today when i entered his office, it was the same sense of dread..as if i'll get scolded again for not being serious about my studies..and wasting my talent...

'May i come in Sir?"..and i opened the door..there he was..with his trademark smile..and "arre..beta..come come..."And Principal Sir, the same sweet teacher, who was more like a friend and a father for all of us..With him we could share all our woes and find guidance whenever we needed it..And then we talked ..about everything under the sky..from enquiring about families to condition of roads to the teachers to old students..and his recent visit to his old school as Benaras..Yes..with my present state of mind, i could completely relate to what he would have felt..
I finally let him in into our plans about the first ever alumni meet of our school..i told him about the e-group that we have..and that i wanted to talk to the students and see what they thought about it..And the sweet person that he is, he told me to go off and meet everyone...

Incidentally the classrooms have changed..so the first class i entered turned out to be tenth standard..(i just had to stop myself from writing FG X-"Family Group-X"..yes, we were all a big family there)..Ahem..Xth-All those solemn looking faces and specs gave them away..and guess who was there in the class??- Suvendu sir..He's put on some weight..but looked very tired..i talked to the students and told hem about the alumni meet that we're planning..They all were quite taken up by the idea..So i gave them my number, shared the ideas we have about it, asked them to sit over it and tell me about their plans..

The next room was the room which had been our class during the last two years in school..i remember every nook and corner of the room..three sides surrounded by eucalyptus trees..and the other two sides facing the main structure of the school..Those large arched windows and doors..That blackboard..that class bulletin at the back..{those benches and desks..those have changed though..}

..and just then the bell rang and it was the lunch break..and the children swarmed out of their classes with their lunch boxes..Most looked at me with apprehensive eyes..what else do you expect when they see someone standing in the middle of the lawn with a camera in hand, looking at the school with that 'lost' look..most of the kids weren't even born when i left school..but everyone seemed to know.."kusum didi.."and most sentences started with.."oh..you are Kusum didi??"..i won't say i wasn't flattered..but i felt more queasy in my toes..the teachers had had so much of expectation from me..they still have..they all had loved me so unconditionally..i had been a favourite with everyone..but i always believed that was more because they all were my favourites..And to realise they still talked about me to the students and i was a drifter still made me feel as if i had slid down on their scales of love and expectation..

Lunch break - good..so i could meet everyone in the staff room..

As i entered i hoped it had been otherwise..talking to everyone at a time would be chaotic..and it was..everyone was talking at once..and i'm sure i was blabbering back which didn't make any sense either..There were Arun sir, Sashmita maam, Rita Maam, Sushant sir, Nimi Maam, Yashoda Maam, Usha maam, Suvendu Sir, Sandhya Maam, Sheela Maam, Pooja Maam, Shipra maam..and a new teacher..in the harrum scarrum i forgot to ask her name..We talked about so many things including the problems they are facing, the times we had, and my weight..the last part figured at the maximum frequency...they tried telling me i was looking good but i know that was only a face saver after seeing that mortally hurt expression on my face..To tell you the truth i would have loved to spend some more time with all of them..indiviadually..every teacher has there own special place in my heart..

I then called in students of eighth and ninth and talked..we just talked..about the alumni meet and our plans regarding that...They reminded me of myself..about 10 years younger though..and we had loads of fun..we talked about a lot f things and mostly their dreams.. i told them about all past students who keep missing school..who have asked me to narrate every moment i spend at school in detail..i told them how the alumni are in every field and profession they can think off..and some they can't..No Tanveer..i didn't really expect you to open a gym and sport a six pack or was that an eight???

And finally i put the ball in their court and have asked them to fix a date in mid January..So you guys know when you have to book your tickets..Specially those in China, US, NY, LA, Tennessee,Korea, Africa, London, and god know where Rutuparna presently is..

It was already time for my meeting..so i had to rush off..I made a trip to the art class and i felt a tad sad..the walls were stripped off..the Madhubanis and water colours we had painstakingly created were not there..probably they are already torn or maybe taken down for restructuring..i don't know..Didn't even ask Gauda Sir..He was himself..that typical Gouda Sir smile..I met Surendra sir just as i was rushing off..he has lost even more weight if that was possible..he gave me one of his best toothy smiles..Wish i had talked to him a bit more..Someday..someday..

The library looked very different too..it has been reconstructed to accommodate more number of children but i loved the library of our times..That cosy room with books lined up on every wall from floor to roof..those wooden racks where i knew the position of every book that entered it..those dark green curtains..those matted floors..that soft light filtering through in winter afternoons..that musty bookish smell..i remembered every bit of it and tried to find that smell in the present library...the black board in the assembly, those wall magazines..But there were a lot of things missing..i missed a lot of teachers too..Mukherjee maam, Mishra Maam, Sharma sir, (Prem sir, Panchali Maam and Stan sir who had left when we were still in school..), Kamlesh Sir, Kalpana maam,Pankaj Sir..But Raju bhai and Mukesh Bhai were there..the bell rings ensured that.. and the students were a charm..they gave me back a part of me..

..even though i left the school because it was getting late i knew my heart was still stuck there..somehow i know a part of me will always be there and my school will be a part of me always..even after no one recognises me anymore..even after i have moved miles away..A part of me will still smile when it sees an eucalyptus tree..or any pentagon structure with slanting roof anywhere in the world..and will be lost in that special time called childhood....

18 comments:

Macadamia The Nut said...

hehe! i can identify so much with this post. i was in boarding school all my life. from the 3rd grade. so my school's more a home to me thn my real homw :D. i've always wanted to go back one day, and walk around. But have never got around to doing it.

Anonymous said...

vinnani.......this leaves me with a smile on my lips and tears tracing their path on my cheeks....nostalgia is what i feel...the eucalyptus trees,the library,teachers,principal sirs teddy bear-like-disposition....every nook and cranny of our school comes vividly into my mind as if it was just yesterday i passed out of it......you are right.gfs,our school will always remain a part of us and we a part of it.....it was our second home or rather a home away from home(no matter how cliche it amy sound.its a fact vis-a-vis our school)...didnt we spend most of the time in a day in school,after all?....we learnt 'life' there....memories of our school will never fade away....its a part of our very existence....we greenfielders have a special air about us and i think no other school has that touch......i miss school sooooooooooooooooo much......and i love you so much...hugs hugs and more hugs for you........love you

Som.Patra said...

its really disheartening to hear about the precarious situation of both the traffic and the morale of the family groups mainly due to the so called "national highway". At one time it was the most blissful part of the school timing :D and the most important time during exams, but the situation has changed now. govt. is giving so many plans on paper. but its hightime. lets have a meet and bring the CM through this road.

Kay said...

@Mac : i completely gret your point and go ahead and make that trip..i can vouch for you that it will be a great experience.

@ Moon: You bet we're special..and our school has a lot to do with it..{Hugs right back dahlin)

@ Soumya: How can i forget those last minute studying in the bus before the final exams!!!Specially when i never touched my books beyond the confines of the classroom...

Unknown said...

it was nostalgia visiting the school through the pictures.kusum di. god bless u.i still remember those activities after morning prayer,the saturday activities,the field where we were made to run by our beloved kamlesh sir.the library reminded me of nancy drews and enid blytons that i devoured.though i hv spent only three years in this school but those years will always be etched in my memory.

Anonymous said...

hmmmmmm....all greenfielders are special but i feel am all the more special because of my propinquity with you..i love you soooooo much....loads and loads and loads and loads of love..you see at this point of time thats all am capable of giving to you......love and big bear hugs....and for all those who came late into the scene please dont misinterpret my love for this beautiful person in and out....:D....if you know vinnani (thats kusum or k.di 4 u) and if you know me then you would surely know why i love her as much as i do....vinnani love you lots........and thanks a lot....big big bear hugs......

Unknown said...

Kusum dii,u did a wonderful job by posting photographs and ur visit's writing,,,every year wen i used to go home during my semester break,,,,the very next day my footsteps guided me to school's direction,,,,,coz this is the place where i started my life's journey....unfortunatley dis year i couldnot come to orissa,,but these photographs again reminded me of my sem break,,,,principal sir is still rocking at this age,,,with his new french cut look like bachchan sahab,,,the evergreen smiling face of usha mam,sasmita mam is looking more younger year by year(hats off to you mam,i miss u a lot,coz i used to get special care from u...),,suvendu sir plzz issue me champak,,,:),,,sushant sir never wants any explanation...arun sir in photo is ready to teach civic sense and fundamental rightes,,,,
surendra sir's photo looks like he has just had a PAN,,,
this is the best colllection of school photos till date,,,,kusum dii looking forward for more coz "yeh dil maange more memories to cherish"

Kay said...

There were a few other things said by people i thought i should transfer here:

Pramathesh: Hi,kusum di,many thanx 4 such a nice article abt our school,really it was a nostalgic feeling ,right nw i feel 2 b child again&relive those days in GFS.hw is mishra sir's health nw?has kamlesh sir left school?i will b rite there on 2nd december.tc.bye

pragnya:
Hello madam ji!!!!
went through the heart touching Blog that u wrote, tears did not stop to flow by my cheeks...... Thank u for such a refreshing memory..... Loove u Kusum Di..... Well plaese keep us posted about the dates..... on a prior basis.... Would definetly thank u once more for all the snaps .......
Appreciable.... Looking forward for the Alumini meet....

jyoti:
went thru the photos.they r great.some teachers r missing!how i wish we could be at once again!

Aatif:
I DONT KNOW WHETHER U REMEMBER ME OR NOT KUSUM DIDI,BUT 1 THING IS FOR SURE,I WONT FORGIVE U EVER...U HAVE MADE ME CRY,YES THATS TRUE,I READ YOUR BLOG AND REALLY I CRIED,I FELT AS IF I WAS THERE WITH U WATCHING ALL THOSE THINGS,MY HEART FELT SO HEAVY,I WANTED 2 FORGET MY SCHOOL LIFE BCOZ I REALLY LOVED IT,AND WHENEVER I REMEMBER IT I BCOME SAD,WELL I M LOOKING FORWARD 2 D ALUMNI MEET. I LOVE GREEN FIELD SCHOOL

Kay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kay said...

@ arpit: Sashmita ma'am is doing fine..Don't you worry!!![;)]

@ Moon: Ahem...Thanks kido..You know you're loved back as much..

@Pragyan: Sure woman, you get posted about all the developments happening

@Aatif: I sure remember you..and you don't forget things /people you love..They are meant to be cherished forever, even after you leave them or they leave you..

@ Moumita: Hello Woman..looong time, no see..Where have you been??Not to London again??

@Jo: Yes, i missed most of the teachers too..

@ Pramathesh: No, Kamlesh Sir is still there..He was on leave because of a personal reason.

@ All of you: Thanks...and no need for the thank yous..It's my school too..remember??

Hugs..

Kay said...

@ Pramathesh: Surendra Sir's doing great...He's back at school though a bit weaker...

Anonymous said...

finally i get to see the pix.u know how it is with the net....of course vinnani i always knew i would see them if not here then you would ve shown them to me........well it feeels great to see our school.....you just bring back so many memories....so manyyyyyyyyy......i remember how we persuaded teachers not to teach during those rainy days that brought power-cuts with them.and how some of my classmates wud knowingly disconnect the tubelights wire during the same before the teachers come into the class so that he/she wont be able to teach properly in the absence of light....i remember making paper-boats and sailing them in the small puddles..how sasmita mam and rita mam would ask me not to give each and every answer and let others speak also.but i think there was some o ther reason also.they were simply bored looking at my face right from beginning of the day in assembly..how i was called the loudspeaker chatterbox and 90 mins cassette by sasmita mam..there are so many things vinnani.and during recess i never used to eat but save the tiffin to eat with u-know-who after the last bell rung and we had about half an hour to forty mins before getting on to the bus that would take us home.i remember how suvendu sir would give us something interesting to do in sanskrit if his class was immediately after games period to take the hangover of games period out of our head......how i wud run for sometime when asked by kamlesh sir and stop when he wasnt looking.........oh god vinnani its so very very nostalgic......love you....tears yet again in my eyes........you are the besT DAHLING VINNANI and then i follow.:D.love you very very very much......

Anonymous said...

i just cant get satiated enough....its like down the memory, lane a volcano of school memories has erupted....i read nandini mams and rohit sirs letters yet again,even though i must have read them umpteen times before....but their value increases day by day......like the school memories these letters are also precious and i feel proud to have received them.....my joy knows no bounds when i see them.....they make me smile....hey any idea where sharma sir n rohit sir are?...i remember how sasmita mam and rohit sir where full of praises for me after i recited highwayman in its entirety in the assembly.. i was in fg 8 and the ballad was in fg9ths course.and i was told by principal sir that it was after a very long time that somebody was courageous enough to recite that one with all expression........mam n sir told me that the last time it was KUSUM they had heard recite it fully and then it was me......i was on seventh heaven.....not just because of the praises that were doing rounds in each n every class but also because i was compared to vinnani (whom i dint know like i know her today-thats a different story..)whose talent stories were a favourite with the teachers.and i remember yamini come and tell me that sir has given their class a piece of his mind because they never attempted to recite highwayman even though it was in their course.......ha !i miss those praises..i was totally flattered and felt like the most pampered one in school....and plz friends dont blame me for that...and vinnani am sure u would understand as u always do.......and the numerous number of dairymailks that i got from sharma sir for my active participation in hindi activities also......i remember him calling me near principal sirs office and giving me those....the gesture was so very fatherly.and the chidings that i received for talking in the class..sampanna ji aap chup nahi baith sakti?and stuffs like that.my friends wud remember that for sure..........................jaane kahan gaye woh din?.....vinnani i think my comments here are not gonna end.....so do tell me when u get bored with them.......love u......

Kay said...

@ Moon: Carry on..I won't get bored..
But why don't you put it in your blog??We all will read it and post our comments on it..
;)

Kay said...

samyak sahoo:
@Aatif
Ya aatif i agree wid u. c really made me cry too. i remember those moments when we were in school. Those moments when during any function we prepared a lot. A teamwork. Seeing those faces reading news,thoughts,activities. The saturday video show. Playing with the eucalyptus tree as tree tree.The school picnic n everything. Sometimes I really want 2 go bak to those school days.

♡~p♥em~♡:
thnks didi ..................i mean it

@ all: Thanks you guys..I'm deleting that thread you guys created to say Thank you..It was a lil too much..

:)

Achilles said...

The first thing that came to my mind when I read this is envy. I am jealous of you.. that you are so close to school and me so far. At least you can see the bus in the town once in a while. At least you can see the smiling faces in grey.

Its been almost three and a half years since I have been to school. And a year more since I left it. Strange that it is a few months time longer than the time I was there. But does that make me any less nostalgic?


somehow i know a part of me will always be there and my school will be a part of me always..even after no one recognises me anymore..even after i have moved miles away..A part of me will still smile when it sees an eucalyptus tree..or any pentagon structure with slanting roof anywhere in the world..and will be lost in that special time called childhood....

I loved reading about the school dii. Its really lovely way you put it down for us. And seemed I was back there again.

But I do not think the school is not an aspect in our life that any of us can possibly cover even with the most visual of descriptions. There are so many facets to it; so many things to remember, miss... and still feel butterflies in the stomach.

This is your story didi. But my story is different... and so is everybody else's. The pentagonal classrooms, the eucalyptus trees, the dusty field, the assembly steps- all are special, but in different ways. There is so much you can just go on about.... and never need to stop; so many different shades of grey...

By the by... Lovely pics too :)

Kay said...

B.K. Sarthak
Thnx Kusum didi
Dear kusum di,
i saw the pics of our school today....u wont believe me but i felt like i was there wid u.....u have taken pics of all the school areas and teachers, all look same as i had left.....well i'm not tht of an emo guy but still i felt a certain feeling of warmth as a browsed thru those pics. the painting of the vulture in the art class made me remember how gouda sir used to walk arnd wid his long 1metre scale......i thnk u wid all my heart for keeping the memory of our school alive in us....

From,
sunny

Kay said...

@ Sandeep: Yes Kid..That's my story..There are so many memories of the school..and some of them so personal and unique to me, i'm sure they would be for everyone else too..

That's the reason, i made it more general that it really was..

For me every point and every tree of the school has a special memory...

This was a part of the story..the other part is buried indide..

@ Sunny: You're welcome kid...